Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Home tour- A food blogger's shabby chic abode!

Hello!

When it rains, it pours! Literally and figuratively.  Today is the 18th consecutive day of rains in my neck of the woods, I kid you not!
I am not complaining though. The incessant rains remind me of the Indian monsoon. The pitter patter of rain drops, the smell of the rain kissed earth, a warm cup of adrak chai on a rainy afternoon -ah, monsoon memories come flooding back as I write this.

Talking about monsoon - I am going to take you today to tour the home of Sia, the wonder woman behind my favorite food blog Monsoon Spice!  


A Cook's nook!
Yes, it's pouring home tours and today we bring you yet another visual inspiration with a candid and heartfelt write-up, this time from the home owner herself.


I love her blog and I have my reasons why. I love the way her blog is set up. It is easy to navigate.  I can find recipes by vegetables, by ingredients, by meal, by type of dish, you name it! It is not always that I plan ahead,  find a recipe first and then go shopping. I do the reverse …often! I realize I am down to my last set of vegetables and want to find a quick recipe that I can probably toss the assorted medley of left over vegetables into and Sia's blog is great for that. I can click down to cabbage or carrots and an amazing host of recipes and pictures pop up. Just what I need!  I love her recipes - simple, no fuss, authentic recipes that always yield a fresh tasting home cooked meal!  I also love the affable aura that her posts carry - she writes from her heart and you can tell. 

Sia's Monsoon Spice is a fabulous food blog. Period!

I pestered Sia and asked her to see if I could feature her kitchen. I was curious to see where all her gastronomic delights are created, her work space, if you will. I was going to do a feature post on the "Cook's nook"   I knew she was super busy - being a mom (to her adorable boy Paarth), having a full time day job and a passion that requires considerable investment of time and energy is no walk in the park. Ask me how I know!  And yet, I emailed her, keeping my fingers crossed.  She was amazing - she sent me a ton of pictures of her entire home, a great write -up and enthusiastically responded telling me she was in! 

And so, without much further ado, I present to you Sia and Krish's adorable shabby chic nest in Yorkshire, England.


The moors of Yorkshire
Talking about her home, work-life balance and her food blog,  Sia writes....

"There is no  particular  decor theme running through our home.  Eclectic with a  touch of shabby chic would rightfully define our style. Our home is warm, inviting, relaxing, and comfortable and has a lived-in feel to it ! When we brought this house at the end of 2009, we envisioned adding bright colors to the plain magnolia walls.  But life took an entirely different course when I became pregnant with my child! And now, 3 years later, we have grown to love what few others may label as dull or boring! Our magnolia walls  brighten our home even on a typical dull and grey England day!  At night with the corner lamps switched on and with candles  flickering, the room transforms into a tranquil space and seems  perfect to unwind after a busy day at work!


The sun filters into Sia's living room filling it with light and warmth!
Light colored walls  allows me to experiment with brighter shades via soft furnishings, wall décor and a few select knick knacks. I love freshly cut flowers and indoor plants  and I believe they make the room look fresh, bright and cheerful. 



With one hyper active toddler on my toes, we have stopped buying things for the house on an impulse. We have tried to keep the décor simple and clutter free to allow for a kid friendly decor scheme.
The living room décor has splashes of copper, gold and orange for a cozy colorful ambience. The Buddha sculpture on the side table is our first purchase for the house and we absolutely love it! 


Tenderly placed knick knacks add personality to this cozy corner. I spy auto rickshaw!
The little study room houses my pride and joy, my book collection and on  the walls you will find  amateur watercolor prints made by me during pre-pregnancy days. It is here, in our small India corner, sitting on low seating/diwaan I write most of my blog posts surrounded by memories of home!

Paarth has an adorable space of his own.Winnie, the pooh waits in antiicipation for a playmate.

 My little ones play room wears a cheery air with his favorite animals on the wall. We spend many happy hours here coloring, reading, cuddling and creating beautiful memories!
The master bedroom is a sea of calmness with white, duck egg blue and sea blue color scheme defining this shabby chic space.


A mobile adds a pop of color to this shabby chic bedroom
The kitchen décor is very simple with bright glossy white cabinets and integrated appliances. We  brought in color creatively via accents such as  floor mats, rug, wall décors, chalk boards and fresh fruits and flowers to take away the sterile look!  Since we do not have much storage option in the kitchen, we brought a stand-alone white glossy cabinet from Ikea which holds most of my large kitchen utensils and cookware. 
 
Books, pots, spice jars and more get stacked into neat piles and add visual interest.

The cookbooks you see on the top of the cabinets are mostly gifts from my friends and also the review copies sent to me by cookbook authors. I love to flip through the pages of glossy cookbooks from time to time to draw inspiration for my food blog, but my most treasured cookbook is a handwritten, decade old book with turmeric stains and dog eared pages given by my mother that has precious recipes from my ma and grandma’s kitchen! 
And this is where the magic happens! The magic of monsoon spice!
, I wear many hats in my day to day life.  During the day I am a full-time  IT professional in a very exciting organization and I am a part-time food blogger and photographer by night. I am also a  full-time daughter/wife/friend/sister/mother, voracious reader, doodler, curry plant killer, nature and adventure sports lover, tree hugger, bon vivant, bathroom singer.! 

A girl after my own heart! Chunky beads make a great fashion statement!

Like this wasn't enough I also believe in living life to the fullest and believe in making everyday moments count.  I make sure that I don’t mix my professional life with my personal one and  never bring my office work  home as I want to give my family my undivided attention. I cook simple food during weekdays that take little time to cook and yet do not compromise on taste! Thankfully both my hubby and son loves simple south Indian fare and are not fussy eaters like me!  Planning our meals and a little prep work  helps a lot in weekday cooking. I cook the lentils and prepare the vegetables on weekends and freeze them in a freezer to be used during the weekdays. I also want to acknowledge my husband for pitching in with his share of work and that helps tremendously allowing me more time for my personal interests such as the blog. 
Kitchen magnets that speak for the homeowners sense of humor!
It takes around 3-5 hours of food blogger’s time for every individual blog post, from cooking, plating, photographing, editing the photographs, writing and finally publishing the recipe.  And that's just the tip of the iceberg! I often get questions from my readers and one thing that pops up every now and then is how I manage home, office, family and kid and still find time to blog?! Well, the answer is very simple. If you love something and are really passionate about it, you will somehow find time for it! 


You can find the recipe here!
Every person needs a space/place of their own where they can be creative and let the artist in them shine. Before I used to blog with the sole intention of keeping a little online journal of all the recipes I learnt from my mom and grandma. And after a year or so, I began blogging for others as my blog got recognition and picked up more traffic around the globe! But now I blog for the simple joy and pleasure I get from it without expecting anything in return! May be this is the reason why I still enjoy food blogging even after 6.5+ years of blogging! :) Only tip I have for any aspiring bloggers is do it for  the fun and joy it provides and not for any tangible benefits! i believe that when you put your heart and soul into your passion, you will strike chord with like minded individuals!"

What an absolutely adorable home! Everything in its place and a place for everything. There is a touch of romance and that's what makes this home Shabby Chic!
Romance + whimsy = shabby chic!
Love it! Do you? We would love to hear your feedback.

Thank you Sia and Krish for sharing your darling shabby chic home with all of us.

Be sure to visit Sia at Monsoon Spice as she unveils the magic of spices and dishes out one yummy recipe after another!  I am cooking my way through Sia's recipes already and you can join in the fun too..

Next up - a  2 part feature on a jewellery artist  and her gorgeous home. She is the force behind the Karmasuthra brand and I can't wait to meet her myself!  Join us right here!

Cheers!
Deepa

21 comments:

  1. Deepa, thank you for featuring our home and all the nice n kind things you have written. I am really pleased and honoured to be a part of Aalayam family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading this post and visiting your home Sia. The simplicity of the decor makes it so classy and elegant! Loved that spice rack on the wall!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sia: Thank You! You have such a darling home, it was easy to draft this post. Thank you for being such a sport and sharing your home an kitchen with Aalayam readers. Can't wait for your next recipe :)


    Ambika: Thank you for your comment. She is fabulous cook and the accolades she recieves is proof of that. I couldn't believe that her kitchen would look so tidy, nice and clutter free given the amount of cooking she does! There is a great lesson here for all of us...

    ~deepa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the post i was waiting for..always used to wonder how Sia's home looks like..she is a gem with lot of cheerful n colorful reflections.....great initiative Deepa....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sia has a beautiful home. Love the pops of color in every nook and corner. Thank you Deepa and Supriya for sharing these wonderful homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shruthi : Yes, I stopped by your blog and I loved what i saw..can't wait for more pictures. Congratulations on the new beginning.

      I am sure sia will appreciate your kind words. Come back - we havesome exciting stuff lined up!

      ~deepa

      Delete
  6. Beautiful home....love the neutrals with pops of color and I enjoyed reading about Sia and her home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nayana: Thank you! You are one of our regular readers and we appreciate your comment and feedback!

      ~deepa

      Delete
  7. Sia, I always look at you for inspiration. I know how tough it is to manage a job, home, toddler and a blog. I adore your passion. You have an elegant home.

    Thank you Deepa and Supriya for featuring this article

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Radhika : We believe in living life to the fullest. And we hope to feature people that are inspirational so we can live our lives a little better.I admire Sia for her hardwork and her dedication. Maintaining a successful blog is a lot of hardwork and to do that with your other commitments sure takes a lot of discipline, time management and dedication. Her posts always carry a positive tone and I rarely see her whine :)

      ~deepa

      Delete
  8. Supriya: Thanks for reading! Yup there is so much energy to all her posts.Figured it would be fun to reach out to her. Enjoyed the collaboration. Please do join the Aalayam family... we have so many interesting things planned for the summer!

    ~deepa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved reading this post ,even I love her blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved it! I am a regular at Monsoon spice - Although I grew up in Mangalore,I learnt most of my Dakshin Kannada cooking from Monsoon Spice :) I almost refer to it like my recipe diary :) Its wonderful to see this post and beautiful pictures of her elegant home and to get to know a little more of the person behind Monsoon Spice. Thank you for the wonderful post. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. notyet100 : thank you! we enjoyed featuring her as well!

    Deeksha: Me too, I am from Dakshina Kannada myself and felt a similar connection to monsoon spice! Thanks for reading.

    ~deepa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely home Sia, it is really so inviting and cosy. Loved the kitchen, just the place a food blogger would love to spend experimenting with varied ingredients. The painting in the living room has such a beautiful set of colours and so soothing. Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you one and all for your kind words! I feel humbled to hear words of appreciation about our little ordinary nest :)

    Deepa, thanks once again for the feature. It was really wonderful to work with you on this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Knot n stitch : Hello and welcome to Aalayam! Thank you for your kind comment on Sia's home.

    Sia: thanks again! work has been sooper busy, I have to catch up on your recipes ;) saw mangalore buns picture...now my mouth is watering!!

    ~deepa

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful ,loved sias home...sia,love you lakshmi
    supriya and deepa///u both rock

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for stopping by lakshmi and also for your words of appreciation - keeps us going!

    ~deepa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sia,
    your house is beautiful :) love ur food blog keep up the gret work !!

    Rgds,
    Sangeetha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sangeetha: Thank you for reading! Indeed, I looked at this post after many days and fell in love with sia's cozy nest all over again! Her food blog is one heck of a resource - isn't it?

    ~deepa

    ReplyDelete